Monday, November 21, 2005

Can we tawk?


I'm a newbie at this sock knitting. (I've knit forever but just not socks!) I've only made one pair and those were pretty basic. So basic in fact, that there wasn't anything fancy about the heel flap at all. I simply slipped the first stitch and knit across the row and slipped the next stitch and purled the next row. Nuttin' fancy about that at all. I had no idea that there were all kinds of different ways to even knit a heel flap. The sock I'm making right now is the basic Regia sock pattern and this heel is the Dutch heel:

Dutch Heel: Leaving the 30 instep stitches on needles and using CC , work heel flap back and forth over remaining 30 sts in heel stitch of your choice.

Regular heel stitch :Row 1 sl 1, * k1, sl 1* repeat from * across ending with k1

Row 2 sl 1, purl across

Work even in heel stitch until heel flap is about 2.25" long.


I know the reason behind this is to have a more durable heel that won't wear out. Got it. It's kind of a pain to purl the slipped stitches but it's doable. I don't know how much I love it though.

Can all of my kick-ass knitting friends tell me what heel flap technique you like the best? I'd appreciate it as I see many more socks in my future.....

1 Comments:

  • Hey Scout! I am totally enamored of your Basic Dutch Heel.

    This is the simple rectangular heel flap done in Slip1, K1 across half of the stitches, then you turn the heel then you pick-up for a gusset.

    I find it wears really well! I use my socks for work and they really take a beating.

    By Blogger Bonne Marie, at 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home