Thursday, December 15, 2005

Knitting is punk rock!

That's what I told my neighbor sk8tr grrl yesterday as I taught her how to knit. I made a little trip to Hobby Lobby and bought her some cool Camo yarn, needles and a little bag so she'd be all set. Then we started with the basics. You can't go wrong with Camo yarn and both Stitch 'n' Bitch books can you?


She was a quick learner and kept saying, "This is so easy!" (Umm, ignore how tired Ms. Scout looks. It was a long day)

The cutest thing was when I handed her what I had bought for her and she gave me the biggest hug. She was even holding the needles like a pro within minutes.

It really feels unbelievably satisfying to teach a 12 year old a skill they will continue using for the rest of their lives. She had so much fun with it and said she'd be taking it everywhere with her. That's when I told her that knitting was cool and she had better tell everyone that. Repeat after me, "Knitting is punk rock!"

I've been busy myself working on the One Skein Wonder. I love Noelle's yarn. Yummmy. It's super soft and so damn pretty all knit up! I had my boy model it for me this morning.


I hope to finish it today so I can wear it this weekend to my holiday parties. Then I really need to make that baby sweater. Or should I make those socks for myself out of that gorgeous Cherry Tree Hill yarn I got? (the middle colorway). Baby sweater or socks for me? hummmmm whatcha think? I'm pretty sure I'm going to make Grumperina's Jaywalkers with my Abq girls. We're going to do our own little KAL. That yarn will work right? I didn't even look.

Sweater?
Socks for ME!?

I'll let my readers make the call. Are baby gifts like wedding gifts where you have a year?

8 Comments:

  • Ok, you have been talking (writing) about knitting this baby sweater for awhile now. Make it easy on yourself, knit the 1 hr booties from SnB Nation and there is an adorable baby hat in Last Minute knitted gifts. I just knit it for my neice in some Manos and it took me a couple of hours. So take 3 hours knit the baby stuff, relieve your guilt and then knit some socks baby!

    By Blogger Ramona, at 9:32 AM  

  • I think you need to knit yourself a Christmas gift - go for the socks!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 10:53 AM  

  • Ya know that wedding gift thing? It's a myth. You're supposed to give the gift at the wedding. The baby sweater, though? If you make it big enough you've got lots of time. I'd want to finish my list before I started anything new but I'm obsessive that way. Do what feels right!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 12:40 PM  

  • I think the socks just because you can make the baby sweater big enough to give yourself some time. Treat yourself, especially since you taught a 12 year old to knit.

    By Blogger me, at 1:50 PM  

  • That OSW looks so cool!! I love seeing neat stuff made with my yarn! That skater girl is adorable too. Be sure to show her the "Rockalong" http://brainylady.blogspot.com/rock-along.htm

    I vote socks as well.

    By Blogger The Little (Knitting) Hedgehog, at 6:11 PM  

  • Socks!

    OSW is looking fine! I'm heading over to Noelle's blog to get me some of that goodness!

    Sk8ter girl should come to SnB!

    By Blogger Beverly, at 6:29 PM  

  • Sk8tergrl could look at the book "knit Grrls" it has some hip beginning projects for emerging Knitters.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 PM  

  • My feeling is that baby gifts, especially handknit baby gifts can be given at any time during the first three months or so of the child's life. A lot of people appreciate getting slightly bigger stuff anyway because they have a ton of teeny tiny outfits that only fit the baby for a little while. That's just my feeling, but so far I haven't had any complaints.

    By Blogger Courtney, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home