Sunday, January 15, 2006

Good morning lovies

How is everyone doing today? I'm just happy that I don't have one single thing planned except for a possible bowling outing later with a few family friends. We'll see. I'm feeling like a day filled with knitting and football.

Can I tell you all how much I absolutely love working at Village Wools? Most of my local girls know this firsthand as they have all seen me in action. Friday was so much fun because almost my entire group of knitting chicas came in to see me. Noelle, Ramona, Meredith, Cari, Beverly and Beth all came in. I'm not missing anyone am I? Then on Saturday I had that please of meeting two cool chicas from the *other* group! It was so funny. I walked over to them and asked if they needed any help and they said, "Are you Scout? We're nepenthe & woman obsessed!" I've e-mailed with both of them for a bit now so it was fun to finally meet them in person. I have to say I was very impressed with their ability to stick with their self-imposed yarn diet. They were both good girls and only ended buying magnets for their cars and the new Vogue Knitting which is actually really good this issue. Bobbles and cables are definitely in. Speaking of the magnets, someone saw my blog and called and ordered 4 magnets from Illinois! The women at the shop thought it was so cool.

Okay, here is where I'm asking for some help from you. One of the things I really want to learn about is fiber. I mean, it's probably the one area I need to learn the most about. For example, someone bought some tencel yesterday. I couldn't tell you all of the details that Franzie the owner was able to tell me. It fancinates me! So. If I want to buy one really excellent resource that would go into detail about fiber what would you recommend? I'm counting on you. You hear me!? The teacher in me does not like not knowing EVERYTHING!

Now I am off to finish my boys' socks and watch some football! Oh wait. Also, if you had 2 days to knit something cool what would you knit? I'm starting Jaywalkers on Tuesday but can't go two days without knitting. The person who gives me the best idea will win something. For reals! I'll send you something from the shop. Ready? Go! Inspire me with a pattern and everything.

14 Comments:

  • Hmm, two days to knit something cool?? Well, I don't know how cool it is, but it only took me two days to knit my not-so-red scarf for the Red Scarf Project. I used the Lacy Airy Scarf pattern (but slightly wider and longer) from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. Satisfying to knit something that will go to a good cause.

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:52 AM  

  • This tiny felted purse, which can then be NEEDLE FELTED is fun and fast. And not so tiny if you have gauge issues...
    http://www.sarahsthreads.com/crafts/index.shtml?ttft

    I did it in Brown sheep bulky. I have some Kureyon to make one for me, now.

    By Blogger Beverly, at 8:03 AM  

  • There is a book called "In Sheeps Clothing" and it's a book about wools and you might find it very interesting!

    By Blogger Pixiepurls, at 8:11 AM  

  • If you have SnBNation...I've knit the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers in 2 days...well, any armwarerms, really! Knitty has a pattern, too.
    Hats are also good...or the buttonhole bag (from masondixonknitting.com).
    Hope that helps!
    PS. no idea about the fiber books!

    By Blogger Tara, at 8:14 AM  

  • you know what's going to be cool? we're going to be able to identify hip knitters all over town by their car magnets!

    By Blogger strangelittlemama, at 8:49 AM  

  • I'm also knitting red scarves. It's just too good a cause and you can work up any number of patterns in a hurry. I'm knitting Heart from Knitty's breast cancer PDF.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • 2 days... hmmm.. a stash buster scarf from odds and ends that are too small to do a whole project with. Cast on a ton of stitches and knit the scarf lengthwise. Cut the yarns at the end to make the fringe. I did a bunch of these for Xmas and they were a hit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  

  • Hey! What fun to meet you yesterday! and I'd love to know what you find out about fiber- will be watching the comments...

    (Sorry- had to delete the earlier comment due to Sunday morning illiteracy...)

    By Blogger Jenny, at 9:39 AM  

  • Hey, Scout - I have a Village Wools question. When last I was there (um, October 2004), they carried these great needle cases (scroll down to the purple bag). I'd like to buy another one and direct people to Village Wools if y'all still have 'em - got quite a few questions about it on my blog.

    Thanks!!

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:48 AM  

  • Arm or wrist warmers. My last ones took half a skein of Manos, and really just a few hours to do. I basically finished the first one while at a hockey game. Another pair was one skein of Cash Iroha, and probably a total time of 4 hours. Those were the ones in Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

    And on that topic, look in Last Minute Knitted Gifts or Odd Ball Knitting for inspiration. LMKG has time estimations on the projects, and they're all "a weekend or less", so anything from there should be doable. OBK is projects designed to help you get rid of small remains from your stash, so most of the projects there are fairly small.

    By Blogger Emy, at 11:07 AM  

  • have you seen the Companion series? I think the Spinner's Companion might tell you everything you want to know about fibers and yarns.

    the Vogue Knitting Book has a couple of good pages on fiber and yarn types also.

    By Blogger GibsonGrrl, at 11:43 AM  

  • OK, since you are watching football, why not knit up a felted beer cozy or a felted coaster??? Just trying to stay in the spirit of the Bears/Panthers game I have on the TV... I have to fess up... I have a pair of socks on the circs right now... Not the Jaywalkers we are starting on Tuesday, but I wanted to learn socks on 2 circs before we started so I could translate over from DPN's...

    I have another secret, but I can't tell ;-)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2:04 PM  

  • 2 days this week? Something for the Red Scarf Project. Great cause, great chance to try a new stitch or bulky yarn...

    By Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots), at 3:37 PM  

  • ok, two days and you can have a fantastic skirt. In the Winter Knit.1 is this fantastic pattern where you turn a pair of jeans into a skirt with a lace mohair insert. I have started mine with the kidsilk night. it's black and sparkly and it rocks.

    By Blogger anxiety knits, at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home