Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Holy crap y'all!

Um, weirdest day. I got a phone call at 12:00pm today from one of the owners of the local yarn shop where I'm frequently found. (Village Wools for those who don't know) Totally out of the blue, they asked if I could work for them. I was speechless. I hadn't said a word to them and am not even looking for a job. With my two kiddos and the two other bigger kiddos I watch in the afternoons I'm already pretty busy. I immediately freaked out a bit wondering how it could even be possible to make it work. I send people there all of the time and they know I started the Albuquerque Stitch 'n' Bitch group but how that came to offering me a job I don't really know. Oh yes, let us not forget my charming personality!!! That's the ticket! Anyway, after going in and talking with the owners and talking with T. I called them back and told them I could work Mondays 10-2, Fridays 11-3 and Saturdays off and on when they need me. She agreed right there on the phone and I'm going in this Friday! The cool thing is that all of the women who work their have kids, know what it's like and are very understanding and flexible about working there. They said that all of their kids grew up in the shop. I didn't realize it's 30 years old.

So yeah. I um, have a job in a yarn shop! How CRAZY!? And to think I was going to possibly join that stashalong. No way dudes!

17 Comments:

  • I can't believe it!! What a crazy cool opportunity for you! Don't forget my discount!

    By Blogger strangelittlemama, at 4:25 PM  

  • Conrats! Wow. I don't think you actually have any monetary gain when you work in a yarn shop - just a yarn gain.

    I've been to Village Wools once (when I was in NM for a knitting retreat) and loved it. And strangely enough while I was there, I ran into someone from Minnesota that I know...

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:38 PM  

  • Oh, what a dream! Do tell when you get started. That's got to be so wonderful to be able to squish yummy yarn any time you wish.

    By Blogger me, at 5:02 PM  

  • yay!! you go DUDE!

    By Blogger Pixiepurls, at 5:03 PM  

  • Congratulations! It's probably time to start building on that extra room to store your stash

    By Blogger Ramona, at 5:06 PM  

  • Cooool! What a fun opportunity!

    I had something like that happen to me when my neighborhood yarn shop opened up... I think I spent about 2x what I earned each week!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM  

  • Congratulations! That's great! This stashbusting? What is it? ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 PM  

  • That is SO COOL! And what a great environment to work in! I've seen the women who work there have their kids and dogs hang out in the store too. And you can give us tips when good stuff is coming in!

    By Blogger The Little (Knitting) Hedgehog, at 6:00 PM  

  • So, dude, what's the discount? You did ask, right? That's more important than the pay rate.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:13 PM  

  • That sounds TOTALLY AWESOME! Congrats!!! You have to let us in on when all of the big sales are during SnB!!! It looks like a really fun place to work. I would be in danger of not earning a paycheck because all of the cash I would earn would go right back into yarn!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8:18 PM  

  • How cool is that? Things sometimes just fall into our laps. Let us know how it is! :)

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 8:45 PM  

  • Holy cow, Batman! How awesome is that the yarn store called you for work? I love it! Not so much would you be able to do the stashbusting with working at the LYS. One of my friends and her daughter work there and their stash has increasted exponentially. Their stash has stash!

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 9:06 PM  

  • Congrats Scout! That is so fantastic!
    At my job we all have kids and are managing to run a very successful agency (all female run might I add!)
    It is a double bonus that you will have something to do that you love and that will allow you to be with the kids. Rock on sister! Thanks for the cables advice. I have an email link on my blog now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 AM  

  • yeah for you girlie! *becuase we all know you really don't have a lot going on;)* you are going to have soooo much fun...and think of the yarns.....mmmmmm

    By Blogger Michelle, at 2:15 AM  

  • Whoa! I am SO jealous! But also, (the polite side of me takes over for two seconds,) congratulations. I have the next best thing to working in a yarn shop- my LYS is literally just around the corner. Now I'm going to have to do something about that lack of discount before I go broke...

    By Blogger kylieps, at 8:24 AM  

  • Sending me to work at a yarn shop would be putting the mouse in charge of the cheese ... you must have much more self-control than I! (That I have no self control when it comes to yarn will come as no surprise to someone who has seen my sock yarn.)

    Good luck with your new job ...

    By Blogger Ruth, at 11:23 AM  

  • Oh my God. Congratulations. That's so cool. I feel like you're stepping into a reality show... or maybe that's how the selected Scout, the next "Knitted Apprentice!" Have fun!!

    By Blogger Erin, at 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home